Sunday, February 10, 2008

Steroids in Baseball

Let me go on record as saying that I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids. Being an athlete and gym rat for the majority of my life I have been exposed to their use by teamates and training partners. I witnessed the negative effects on mood and their addictive properties. I guess what I'm saying is that in the world of sports, especially professional athletics, steroids are commonplace. This doesn't make it acceptable and it shouldn't be overlooked. They are illegal after all. I'm having a real tough time understanding how the use of steroids in professional baseball has become an issue requiring the full attention of the United States Congress. Today I read that Roger Clemens former trainer claims to have injected Debbie Clemens (Roger's wife) with anabolic steroids and HGH prior to a 2003 Sports Illustrated photo shoot. Does anyone really care? If the Clemens' want to risk their health and prosecution then they aren't very smart. Surprised? After all, he is "the rocket", not the "rocket scientist". The point is, I don't need Congress to tell me that professional athletes use steroids anymore than I need them to tell me that hippies smoke weed, or crackheads love crack. What I'd like for Congress to do is draft and pass legislation. I'd like them to pass legislation that makes sense and serves the American public not legislation so full of earmarks and pork for their supporters "pet projects" that the term scandalous barely begins to describe it. Here comes the daily cliche.....Congress has "bigger fish to fry". Steroids in baseball is a matter better left to law enforcement officials and Major Leauge Baseball to handle.

No comments: